Friday, November 18, 2011

Berry Pomeroy Castle, 'Ghost and Legend'

      Hi everyone, I thought I would introduce you all to a little bit of family history.  My family ancestors are still hanging around, but, before I get ahead of myself, let me explain.  There is a castle in Devonshire England called the 'Berry Pomeroy Castle', and is considered one of the most haunted castles in England today.  The castle was bestowed to a Ralph de Pomeroy by William the Conqueror, also know as Sir Wallace, (yes Braveheart), as a reward for loyalty and support during the Norman invasion  The castle was completed in 1305, by the 9th generation of Pomeroy's.
      There have been many ghostly sightings with many strange phenomenons witnessed by the locals, and many tourist over the years.  Many of the sightings date back as far as the 1800's.  For further detail on the history of the castle and it's  hunting's, please go to the attached website: http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/devon/featured-sites/berry-pomeroy-castle.html.  Youtube also has a great recording of the castle and depicted history at,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJLQeGNEY0.  Author Peter Underwood, in his book titled; Nights in Haunted Houses, (1982), dedicated a chapter to the Pomeroy haunting.  I am planning to some day, take a trip over to England to meet some of my dear departed relatives, by spending the night in the castle.  Should be one interesting experience and I will be bringing my video camera.  I have also attached the family crest.


No comments:

Post a Comment