Saturday, November 26, 2011

Cartoons are Universal in the Eyes of Children

See full size image
     Recently, I purchased a DVD set with over 200 classic cartoons, ranging from the dates 1950's through the 1960's.  The DVDs consisted of the following cartoon characters;   Popeye, Betty Boop, Littel Audrey, The Three Stooges, Baby Huey, Mighty Mouse, and many others.  I purchase this DVD due to not having anything for my relatives little kids to watch when they came to visit, also, the fact I was curious about something. What would be the children reactions to cartoons that were made 50 years ago? Would they find them interesting and entertaining?  Would they wonder why some cartoons were black and white?  Would they be interested in the story line and characters?  To my surprise, the children ages 6 and 4, not only enjoyed many of the characters but the overall way the cartoons told the stories, sitting through many of the cartoons, and then to my further surprise, started picking out which cartoons they wanted to continue to watch. 
     When a black and white cartoon came on the children ask, but Uncle, how come there's no color?  I explained to them, when cartoons were first made, they were in black and white, and when I was a little 'rugrat' like you guys, all the T.V. programming was in black and white.  To say the least, the children gave me the most puzzling look, and ask, didn't  they have crayons back then Uncle?  Of course, I avoided the question, and once the grownup's quit laughing, I decided my experiment was over and put the movie Spiderman on.  My conclusion, it dosn't matter when a cartoon was published, in the eys of children, cartoons will always be universal.


No comments:

Post a Comment